Monday, February 15, 2010

The Memory Of The Trees

The Memory Of The Trees
acrylics, impasto medium, ephemera on canvas
Side panels - embroidery on linen

I've been wanting to show you this painting for days, hoping I'd have it finished before my trip. I started working on it just after the anniversary of Black Saturday.


Without doing myself a disservice I have to say that this painting came from a place much deeper than me. I painted it through those hot nights last week, and I painted fast and furiously. It only took me two days to complete the painted part of it.


I wanted to put an embroidered word on the front of it but couldn't find a place where it would fit. Then I remembered some work by Sabrina Ward Harrison I'd seen where she used the sides of her canvases. I love this idea of working beyond the usual surface.


I am fascinated that the process of making this piece has, in it's own tiny way and completely without any conscious thought, emulated the cycle of destruction and renewal that came with Black Saturday. The painting was fast, fierce, hot and immediate, while the embroidery has been a slow, concentrated, gentle process.


Isn't that the way with these things? My emotional peaks are full of fiery, hot energy followed by a quiet, gentle time of renewal. Today is a day of quiet renewal.

1 sleep peeps, 1 sleep.

17 comments:

  1. wow, this would have been very soul cleansing, it definitely calls out it's message in the colours, shapes, tones.
    how exciting, 1 more sleep, have fun and tell Ms L that I will go next Thursday & would be great if there was another peep chatting away aswell :).
    hugs to you lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Awesome. And, 1 SLEEP.... fantastic. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Just love it. The imagery and your description of creating it. Wonderful. Have an excellent time O/S, I'm sure you will :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the colours grabbed me as soon as I saw them ... and I take what you mean re the difference between the painting and embroidery and it occurred to me the embroidery, soft and green is like the regeneration going on quietly out of sight but it's there nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Cathy- its fantastic- I really like the embroidery on the side of it too.
    have a great time!
    Maybe Ms L can guest blog while you are away? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is FABULOUS! I can see so clearly that you let go and just let this painting happen. They are always the best paintings. Good luck as you embark on your big adventure, this will be a turning point in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful painting with a lot of heart. I love the message along the side of the canvas. Have a wonderful time at your workshop/retreat/creative horizon expansion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a moving picture. It's speaks much louder than any words can. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work - very moving - Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnificent work little tinny girl....I'm besotted...yes besotted with the embroidery around the edge. Lord girl you must be getting very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  11. cathy...that ROCKS.
    i love the embroidery and the linen on the side.
    can.t wait to create with you.
    see ya on thursday.
    oh,
    and by the way...
    LOVED the picture.
    i.ll send you and monica one today.
    loves,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cathy, that is really superb. A meaningful fusion of many elements. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That painting is sooo evocative, I got straight away what it was and it spoke to me....fabulous work!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, that is stunning - really meaningful and powerful. I *love* your work! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't stop looking at this...it moves me so. Love you sweet girl, and my Aedan is over the moon about his Aussie treats! Big, big hugs...how I miss you so already!

    ReplyDelete