Monday, December 10, 2012

{all i want for christmas}

Treating myself & supporting the community. Perfect combo.

Kat tagged me last week with a fun challenge: what five things would I put on my wish list this Christmas?  I was inspired by her responses too, which went beyond consumption and the frivolous. Much more to the heart of the matter.

And so I pondered my own wish list, and this is what I came up with:

Ritual - I want a sense of ritual. Christmas is a complicated time in mine and Ms L's lives.  We have some particularly challenging family stuff that has always made Christmas a bit fraught.  I want to create rituals for our little family and bring our own Christmas story to life.

Slow - I want to navigate the season with a sense of peace and grace.  It already feels so frenetic out there in the world.  People seem rushed, harried and willing to trample each other to get their to-do list ticked off.  It's the thing I hate most about Christmas.  I want to take time, choose gifts with care and wrap them with love.  I want to connect with people.  I want to bake treats.  I want to feel relaxed.  I want to go slow.

Christmas Spirit - sometimes Christmas feels so fraught and so harried that I find myself dreading it.  I'm always much happier when I have some Christmas cheer about me and get into the spirit of the season.  So I am wishing for a good dose of Christmas spirit, time spent with people I love and the opportunity to give generously to those in need.

A Fresh Start - it feels risky saying this one out loud, but I'm doing it all the same.  I want a new job.  I'm ready.  I want to put my talents to great use.  I want to grab hold of something and really make it my own.  I want to feel more rewarded each day - financially and emotionally.

And on the purely consumerist side of things - I really, really, really want an iPad!

I'm not a big fan of tagging people but I'd love to read your wish lists, if you feel so inclined.  Leave your list in the comments or a link to your own post and I'll pop over and check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely list!
    I misread the last line of the second item on your list as "I want to glow". Somehow this seemed quite fitting too!
    Hope you get your iPad and lots of scrummy ebooks to coax you into a more leisurely pace for Summer.
    Thanks for being part of the fun challenge! I knew you'd nail it.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely list indeed. Best wishes on the job search.

    ReplyDelete